How to increase the scroll buffer size in PuTTY
- PuTTY doesnít allow you to scroll up very far. It becomes annoying when running programs having lots of input you might need to scroll through and review.
- One command that can sometimes produce a lot of output is Is- the command to list a directory contents.
- Type Is Ė I/ to list the contents of the root directory. Press Enter to execute a shell command.
- Type the command shown to list the contents of all directories contained by home directory. Scroll up. The command we just typed. Output of previous command will be shown above.
- Scroll up. You can reach top of scrollbar and still canít see first command we typed; itís just barely out of range.
- Increase size of scroll buffer. Close this session and re-open PuTTY to configuration window. Select session from the list and then click Load button.
- Go to Window button. Enter higher value for Lines of scrollback.
- Go to Session category. Click on Save button after filling options.
- Log in normally and once logged in, test out new scroll buffer size. Type command from before several times. End each line with shell comment as shown.
- Watch size of scrollbar. First command will be displayed and change will work.
BACK TO HOSTING TUTORIALS